The End Is Near . . . For Whom?

Finally, the Casey Anthony trial is near an end. Today, the defense is expected to rest its case, a moment that should elicit a collective sigh of relief out of everyone who has been following the proceedings.  I feel as if I’ve been watching a train wreck in slow-mo over the last week, knowing full well that  I should turn my head to avoid seeing the carnage. But like everyone else I couldn’t take my eyes off witness stand.
    I don't think it's necessary to do a play-by-play of the case, or explain how Assistant State Attorney Jeff Ashton shredded some of the defense’s key expert witnesses. No, this post is about some particular events that could influence the outcome of the trial, and I'll start with Cindy Anthony.
    When Cindy took the stand and said that she Googled chloroform on the family desktop in March of 2008, she undercut the State's theory that it was Casey who researched it, made it, and murdered her daughter with it. However, the State likely will present rebuttal witnesses from Gentiva, where Cindy was employed as a nurse, who will testify that she worked those days and couldn't have been anywhere else.  In the end, the jury will see through Cindy’s attempt to take a bullet for Casey.
    Dominic Casey is a private investigator who originally worked for Baez. He later worked for George and Cindy. In November 2008 he and another investigator searched the woods on Suburban Drive, looking for Caylee’s body. Who sent them there? Dominic said it was a psychic. On direct examination of Cindy, Baez asked her if she sent the private investigators to the woods. She said no, adding she had no knowledge of the search.
    Then Baez called Lee Anthony to the stand, and he told a different story. He testified that his mother had sent the private investigators to look for Caylee’s body, a decision that led to an argument. Lee said he was very angry with his mother because the search she ordered was the first time anyone in the Anthony family acknowledged that Caylee might be dead. His testimony contradicted his mother’s, fueling suspicions that Cindy has repeatedly lied on the stand.
    What makes Lee so believable is that he's got nothing to lose by telling the truth. Why would he lie to make his mother look like bad? In making Cindy out to be a liar, Baez had just unwittingly undermined her credibility as his chloroform-searching scapegoat. After all is said and done, the jury will view Cindy as untrustworthy, meaning she did more to harm her daughter’s defense than help it.
    Throughout this trial, the only Anthony family member who still has his credibility intact is George. Lee was a credible witness, but he came off as just plain weird at times.   What guy cries over being left out of his sister's baby shower?
    When George last took the stand Wednesday, Baez did his best to break him down. He accused George of molesting his daughter since she was a child. No one in the courtroom was buying  it, including the jury. As a matter of fact, they seemed to have a little empathy for him. When Baez badgered him about the odor in Casey's car and questioned whether he really knew what caused it, the former cop in George came out : “HOW DARE YOU TRY TO TELL ME IT'S SOMETHING ELSE!. I KNOW WHAT I SMELLED THAT DAY!”
    With those two sentences, George emphatically declared that Casey had carried a decomposing body in her car. Baez had gift wrapped a defense witness and handed it to the State as a present.  Time and again he has helped the State make its case against Casey. As the questioning continued, jurors seemed glued to George. Were they feeling sympathy for him? He appeared to be a broken man at times, but he was fighting back as Baez hurled one tawdry insinuation at him after another.
    Baez brought up George's suicide attempt. He picked up a copy of the lengthy suicide note George wrote, holding it up for the jury to see. Baez implied that George was driven to attempt suicide out of guilt. And to hear Baez tell it, George had every reason to have a guilty conscience. He had molested his daughter and was involved in Caylee’s death, or at least in covering it up after she drowned in the family pool. He had had an affair while he was supposed to be a distraught grandfather searching for Caylee. He is a shady character who lies to protect himself while his daughter faces the death penalty. He cries on the stand for no one but himself.
    That’s the picture Baez tried to paint of George, but I think the jury saw a much different portrait emerge in the courtroom.
    George’s grief over the disappearance and death of Caylee was genuine. He couldn’t deal with the loss, and suicide would be a way to end the pain while bringing him closer to Caylee. When his testimony ended, George walked back to his seat wearing his emotions on his face. Still, he held his head high, glaring in anger at his daughter. I wondered at that moment if he had an epiphany, that “Oh, my God!” moment in which he realized his little girl is really the monster she is accused of being.
     And Casey? Just like any other day in court, her stare was as cold and distant as the dark side of the moon. Her blank expression was not lost on anyone in the courtroom, least of all the jury.

Comments, page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Next »
Jun 30, 2011 09:14 am

I think Lee is the most purely honest person in his family. Yes, he is quirky -- but appears most trustworthy. He also seems to have the most selfless type of care for Casey.

I totally agree that George has very real emotions about Caylee, and I really feel for him in that regard. However, if he drove Casey's car off the lot and apparently KNEW it was the smell of decomposition and then just went on to work -- no call to the police amd no other action taken -- that is wrong, in a myriad of ways. There are some character flaws showing by his inaction that day. Then later, we see him rather glibbly talk to police about him knowing it was a dead body smell.

And don't even get me started on his trips to see this Ms. Holloway person. Even if we assume it was not a sexual affair, going to a single woman's condo several times (as a married man) to "comfort" her is beyond inappropriate. It is disrespectful to his wife and squishy. Just ask any married woman! I do think he was NOT forthright in his amswers on all of that.

Also, George is very off-putting to me many times, with his bravado on the stand when Baez is questioning him. George oftentimes seems like a Drama King and self-righteous and self-serving in how he answers. He really does seem like he is trying to out-macho Baez, as if it is a game. He seems to completely lose focus on what is most important.

No, I cannot say I trust George Anthony. I feel for him in some regards, but I do not trust him.

Jun 30, 2011 09:18 am

Brilliant!

Baez has proven that all the Anthony family members are liars with Casey as the beloved Princess to her Prnce, King and Queen of Lies!

All is questionable... a family of sociopaths.

Jun 30, 2011 09:27 am

Crystal Holloway is VERY BELIEVABLE on the stand. Unlike George, she doesn't sound rehearsed or contrived or pompous. She is REAL, and the jury will believe her. The talking heads are saying the same thing.

This probably means the jury will believe George lied about the affair. That does not mean he hid the body or abused Casey and etc., but it does hurt his credibility, and I think that will play into what the jury decides. It could help lower the charge because they can't totally believe George.

Jun 30, 2011 09:32 am

Great article, Dave! My heart really went out to George on the stand yesterday. I found him to be genuine and believable. Cindy's lies are going to come out during the State's rebuttal case and I can't wait. I believe that Lee has told some lies on the witness stand also. I am anxious to see what Baez is going to do to Lee when he gets on the stand today before they rest their case. I think they will ask him about molesting Casey. Will he tell the truth or will he lie? We will find out shortly. I am looking forward to this case being over. I find it has been draining for me and I am not in the court room like you are. I can only imagine how draining it has been on you. Many thanks to you, Dave for being in the court room for us and being our eyes and ears and writing your observations on what happens each day in court. It is really appreciated!

Jun 30, 2011 10:52 am
 Posted by  Judy B.

Krystal Hollaway is an opportunist who loves the lime light. She didn't love it so much on the stand, too bad. In the end it means nothing, the judge read a statement to the jury that they couldn't consider it for the truth in the manner of death, only to impeach George. Maybe it did and maybe it didn't, I think it was a wash. There has been no defined defense....they're all over the map. The longer this case goes on the more Casey looks to be cold and calculating and that is not good for the defense. I think the prosecution team is the best I've ever seen and I watch a lot of trials on In Session.

Jun 30, 2011 11:25 am

Dave, I have been following your blogs for a long time and I must say that I don't agree that George is the only person telling the truth. He is not credible in my opinion. There are too many weird instances where he cant remember or doesn't want to give a yes or no answer, so he's not implicated in anyway. He is protecting his own butt and no one else's. Today when asked about the duct tape, he wouldn't say it was his. How many people own duct tape with the Henkle logo? Is it that common? His character is flawed and he's very combative with the defense attorney. I personally think he wants his daughter found guilty of these crimes. How could someone, Casey Anthony, who seems to have very little common sense plan a perfect murder? No DNA, no finger prints, etc....but her dad could because he's a former cop!

Jun 30, 2011 12:06 pm
 Posted by  Nova Scotian III

We suspect Ms. Holloway's testimony has caused sober second thought for the female members of the jury, and they've lost all sympathy for George by now.

Jun 30, 2011 12:36 pm

Casey will not be testifying.

Jun 30, 2011 12:40 pm

The defense rests.

Jun 30, 2011 08:18 pm
 Posted by  Carole

WOW!! I did not expect to see such a varied array of opinions on the recent witnesses that testified.

First off, Krystal Halloway sold her story to, above all, the National Enquirer! And she thought this was a reputable rag that would tell her story truthfully?? She evidently does not spend too much time in supermarket checkout lines!

I believe that Lee was very upset when he was not included in casey's pregnancy. He is a member of the family and by all accounts he and casey were close. So why would he be cut out about the baby?? I can imagine that would cause some hard feelings.

One only has to look at Cindy to know that, or at least assume, that she was the head of that household and George was the man that could not do anything right. He could not hold a job. He lost a large amount of money on get rich schemes, and he could not, or would not, hold casey responsible for her lies and stealing. Stealing from not only her parents but her grandparents and friends, as well.

I am sure that George knew, or at least suspected that casey did not have a job. If she did she would not have to steal gas from the shed, nor would her parents have to hand her money on a regular basis. I believe that George did not confront casey on these issues because of Cindy's refusal to admit that anything was wrong. Cindy allowed the stealing from the family to go on to the point of nearly losing the family home. And George did nothing about it. I believe this is his only guilt.

As for casey being able to plan the "perfect murder", well, that did not turn out so well for her. There appears to be enough circumstantial evidence to convict her. Maybe not for first degree murder, but for some lesser degree. If she had been smart she would not have kept Caylee's body in the trunk until the decomposition was to the point that it was when the car was found. And, if she was so smart she would have told the truth the first day and begged for mercy spent minimal time in jail.

JMHO