A Farewell to ‘Marinade’ Dave

Dear Readers:

“Marinade” Dave has been blogging on this site for 10 weeks while on special assignment to cover the Casey Anthony trial for Orlando magazine. From jury selection to opening arguments to the reading of the verdicts he offered unique perspectives about the case.
    On Monday, Dave will post his final blog here, sharing some thoughts and observations about the 3-year-old saga that culminated with Casey being acquitted in the death of her daughter..
    When I hired Dave to blog about the trial, I told him he would be paid for up to four blogs per week. Therefore, I did not expect him to attend every day of the proceedings, which ran six days a week for nearly eight weeks..
    Dave missed two days, both due to exhaustion..
    His days began at 8 and ended at midnight, sometimes later. Every time I told him to take a day off from the trial he always replied with “I don’t want Orlando magazine to lose its seat,” a reference to the requirement that credentialed media could forfeit seats they failed to occupy daily. Other media outlets rotated staffers, but we didn’t have the luxury of spare bodies to relieve Dave..
    If not for Dave, I don’t think Orlando magazine would have had a presence in this trial, the biggest news event to come out of Orlando since, well, Caylee was reported missing in 2008..
    Soon “Marinade” Dave will return to his blog site at marinadedave.com, where many of you first encountered him. When the trial ended, Dave told me he was washing his hands of Casey Anthony. A blog or two more about her and he would look for something else to write about..
    But I am not so sure. Casey will be free in a matter of days, and from that moment on her life will unfold in plain sight of the public. Casey’s second act could be tough for Dave to pass up. I’m just saying. . ..
    Whatever direction he decides to go in, I wish him well.

Mike Boslet,
Editor

Comments, page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 Next »
Jul 8, 2011 04:48 pm

Dave did a fabulous job. We appreciate him. God bless him for his faithfulness in covering this trial -- to the point of exhaustion.

His writing was clear and interesting, as were his insights.

You guys should hire him for other assignments!

Jul 8, 2011 04:57 pm
 Posted by  JustJane UT

I have followed you for a while now. You will be missed my friend. Continue writing, you have skill.

Love,
Jane

Jul 8, 2011 05:02 pm

Thank you for giving Dave the opportunity to write for your magazine during the jury selection and this trial. He did an amazing job with his articles and it is appreciated by many. I can understand how exhausted he must have been because I was getting exhausted watching it from home. You did great, Dave! I think there will be many of us who will be washing our hands of Casey Anthony after what verdict this jury came back with. It was the wrong one, but it is over and done with and we have to move on. I don't intend to watch any coverage of her leaving the jail and I would prefer it if none of the news organizations weren't there to film it. It would certainly serve Cheney Mason right for his spiteful comments against the media. The media served him when he wanted it to.

I look forward to having Dave back on his blog and writing about anything other than this case.

Dave, I am proud of the work that you did for this magazine!

Jul 8, 2011 05:16 pm

Dave has always done an outstanding work. I also beleive that this was a travesty of justice, so perverse.Hopefully he will have lots of other adventures to write about for your magazine. Dave, get some rest my friend, Lacey

Jul 8, 2011 05:21 pm

As a tribute to Caylee and in appreciation to Dave for all he has done to keep us, the public, informed about the trial, I am going to make crib size (30" x 40") quilted blankets using Winnie The Poo sheets and sell them for $20 each. I will accept postal money orders only and ask that each money be made out to the National Center For Missing & Exploited children. I will then forward all the money orders to the Center so they can cash them and use them to help others who are desperately looking for their children. These blankets would also be used by adults as lap blankets at ball games or other outdoor sports to keep the recipients warm on those chilly nights. I will try to make a website where people can go to see the finished product and order their blanket. The website will show that this idea was born from MarinadeDave's blog and I will encourage everyone to go to his blog site.

Thank you Dave for all you have done for us and in the interest of finding justice for Miss Caylee.

Marilyn Wiggs in CA (M in CA)

Jul 8, 2011 05:56 pm

You have done a fantastic job at Orlando Mag.! Frankly, I think most people are sick and tired of all of the scuzzy, lying Anthonys! They've achieved what they set out to do from the day they first cleaned the Killer's car. They now have money, and are driving around in their Bloodmobiles. To them, Caylee is DEAD AND GONE. They still have their Killer Sweetheart even tho
Bulldog Baez will not allow her to see them. He is in FULL CONTROL, and Killer is now his Money Maker! Yeah, the bloodbucks will start rolling in, and he can now make his house payments. Cindy and Geo. did! Thousands and thousands of us will always love and honor little Caylee's memory. I will forever think of her when I hear You are My Sunshine!

Looking forward to returning to your blog. Hope u catch up on your rest! zzzzzzzzzzzz

p.s. You are a great writer!

Jul 8, 2011 06:07 pm

Orlando Magazine did a smart thing buy engaging Dave to cover this when it was of the utmost interest to so many..And what a fantastic job he did. His diligence paid off and we reaped the rewards.

However, I now agree she is old news and I have no more interest in her or the rest of that circus. I also have moved on. Not one time have I tuned in HLN, CNN or any ot the news shows since the sick verdict came in. She is now just a black hole that will suck in the very weak and I will not be one of them.

Dave, please don't completely give up your page..We can find many, many inteesting things that need discussing. Lol.

We would miss you to much my friend.

Rosebud8

Jul 8, 2011 06:20 pm

Mike, I think you did a very good thing giving Dave a chance. It was a risk, but it paid off. Dave is a great guy, he gives projects his all!

I can not give him what you did, but he knows that he is welcome in my 'casa' anytime.

Simon Barrett

Jul 8, 2011 06:23 pm
 Posted by  guardianangel

Hello Mike Boslet!

It is hard to believe how much time has passed since we spoke. I want to thank you for giving Dave the opportunity to prove his talents here on your magazine blog.

I don't think the Anthony case is going away anytime soon. The media outlets will make sure of that. It will eventually wane so none of us will have to go cold turkey.

If Dave told you he is washing his hands of Casey, don't believe a word of it. He was probably just tired and grumpy, two of his lesser talents. LOL

Thanks, Mike

Snoopy aka the old backwoods Canadian

Jul 8, 2011 06:42 pm
 Posted by  Carole

Milke,

Thank you for choosing Dave for this very important journalistic endeavor. His writing style was perfect for such a high profile case.

Having Dave report from the courtroom was a brilliant move for Orlando magazine! He did a wonderful job and did not disappoint any of his readers!

He is above all a gentleman that has more class in his writing than any other blogger or journalist that I have read regarding the Casey Anthony case. He was fair and did not allow people to attack people that commented on his blog.

I will certainly follow him to whatever subject he decides to blog about.

Still waiting for his book......autographed ;)

Comments, page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 Next »